Friday, June 3, 2011

Tomato transplants

A couple weeks ago Karen and I were transplanting our newly growing tomato plants.  We were overdue to get those plants from the seed peat pods into clay pots which would allow them room to shoot up to the size that we need to put in the gound.  K and I got all the pots out, got some really great bio-dirt, miracle grow, tools and we had a great sunny morning.  We could get these things done in about 40 minutes and then get on to the next project for the day.  As we approached the morning project one of our kids needed us to watch their two little darlings and of course being in love with those two little people we agreed, figuring they could help us do the tomatoes and other work around the house.

Have you ever noticed that nothing makes a project move more slowly than having little people "help" you perform it?  Our project turned from something simple into two million heart-stopping, hose running on the floor, spilled dirt, squeezed to death, broken plant occurances.  One of the kids even tried to eat one of the peppers to see if the plant itself tasted like a pepper.

On one of those two million heart stopping moments, we had a fatality when the little one successfuly placed a very strong plant in the clay pot. While showing "Nanny" the good job that she had done, she lifted it up only to have it drop out upside down, crushed on the table.  The life of a hardy vigorous tomato plant can be short lived in the hands of  an excited youngster. It wasn't too long before things got out of control and we had to come up with something else to do quick or risk losing our entire tomato crop.
 
Then I remembered  how I was taught to work when I was little. I always loved to work with my dad. He would always give me a single task to do.  I didn't have to cut the wood and sand the wood and measure the wood. Maybe all he would have me do was to pull the nails, or hand him the tools he needed.  I didn't do much but I did my part and felt like I was helping my dad. This built my confidence and encouraged me to learn how to work and be attentive. I could honestly claim to have helped make that project work because of this.

When we put our hands to God's plow, we certainly can make a mess of some of the things He wants us to do for Him when we "try" to help.  Yet, when we are willing to perform small specific duties according to our abilities, our Father can bring about great results.

Centuries ago, when the members of the church in Antioch heard of a coming famine, they wanted to help those affected by it.  Luke records in Acts 11:29 that , "the disciples, each according to his ability, decided to provide for the brothers in Judea."  They helped the Lord by doing their part with their specific abilities and gift mix.  Every day we have the opportunity to "help" our Father with His work throughout our own world of influence.  Cooperatively, as we each give of ourselves according to our abilities, and according to the need at the time, we have the satisfaction of sharing in a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment