Tuesday, June 21, 2011

God Questions

Many people ask me how to daily follow the Lord or how to live for Christ on a daily basis. 
I've heard a lot of interesting responses. I've also heard a lot of hard and difficult answers. And...a lot of the books some of the authors write to help us in a general sense, don't necessarily make it easier either!
 All of us hear God speak to us in very manifest ways at times in our lives...but it's the normal times that makes it tough to hear God.
Some people say you should fast, or go to a quiet place and wait to hear God.  Yes, sometimes you do hear God that way, but how do you hear God on a regular basis? It really isn't as difficult as people try to make it...sometimes it's right in your head.  
Here are some things "I" do to hear God......I just try to keep my eyes on Jesus at all times....I always ask a lot of questions when I am doing regular life.  I will ask the Lord, ?'Is this what You want Lord?'  I will ask the Lord, ?'Is this your will Lord.'  If it is something I am going to do I really do ask in my mind, ?'Can you bless this Lord.' I don't want to sound paranoid but I really try to keep a 'God consciousness,' a sense that God is where I am, right beside me in the midst of my real life experiences.
 For me, I believe that that most of the distresses, messes and goof's in life come after little decisions have gone bad.  My calamities are rarely the result of a disasterous "big time" decision failure.  My stuff is usually cumulative, low-tier, obscure decisions that somehow blow up into "really bad scrums".
So I have learned to ask God some of the questions that I wrote above.  I continually ask questions.  I do not usually hear some kind of voice or anything like that.  What I usually hear is something on the line of a virtue go through my head.  Like, is that honest? Or, is that kind? Or, would you like that to happen to you?  Many times a Bible story or a character will come to my mind as an answer to the question I asked in my thoughts.  A lot of times I will hear the Ten Commandments as an answer.  And lastly, I have learned that doubt plays a big role in my decisions.  Sometimes I don't hear the above but I WILL have a doubt about certain decisions. I understand doubt and I know doubt when it happens to me, so I rarely if ever miss doubt when that signal goes off.
When this happens I always practice one rule that has served me well: 'When in doubt throw it out.' Yeah, if one of the above takes place in my questioning system, if there is a shadow cast over something I am trying to dicipher, if I doubt something, I discard it.  I do not ever try to talk myself into something.  It is too easy for my 'I wants' to override the 'I wouldn'ts'.  Generally if I do the questions, listen for virtue or one of the Ten Commandments and discard the doubts and don't try to talk myself into something, I usually get it right....

No comments:

Post a Comment