Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Names

God’s heart is for us to know Him. God shows us who He is through His nature and His character. One of the ways we determine the nature of God is in His names found in the Old Testament that describe His nature. The reason this is important is because it tells you what He’s like and what He does.
  • In Exodus 15:26 we find God is Jehovah Rapha; the Lord our Healer. This scripture unveils to me one of the expressions of His nature. It is His very nature to heal us. That’s why I don’t believe that healing stopped at the end of the New Testament because The New Testament hasn’t stopped.
  • Jehovah Nissi means the Lord is our banner. He’s our covering; He’s our refuge; He’s our guard. The word banner was always used in the context of warfare and battle so that tells me God will go with me into the battle. I don’t have to fight the adversary alone.
  • Jehovah Shalom: the Lord is my peace; He’s the One that brings me peace and comfort.
  • Jehovah Rah: the Lord is my Shepherd; He guides and directs.
  • Jehovah Jireh: The Lord is my provider. In these hard economic times I need to remember to do everything I can do. But the bottom line is, God promised to provide for me.
  • Jehovah Shammah: The Lord is with us; the Lord is present.
  • El Shaddai: The all sufficient One.
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment