Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Crisis

 Most of us have experienced something from the crisis of the local tornado that brutally slapped us around last week. Some of you directly, others as a crisis responder, some as a shoulder for someone to lean on, or as a prayer warrior for those who are hurting.
  I am sure there are some people who haven't really done something for the crisis but many people have sore muscles, ripped clothes, wind burn, dirty tools, you know all the things that come with throwing in for a good cause.
In the book of John, Jesus said, "I have loved you even as the Father has loved me.  Remain in my love.  When you obey me, you remain in my love, just as I obey my father and remain in his love. I have told you this so that you will be filled with my joy.  Yes, your joy will overflow!"
Notice that Jesus expects us to do only what He did with his Dad.  His relationship with His Father is the model for our friendship with Him.  Jesus did whatever the Father asked Him to do; it brought Jesus joy doing those things.  You want joy? This is one way of getting it.
Often we will be challenged to do "great things'  for God. There have been some very great heroic men and women who have been called out of regular life to accomplish great things.  But these great heroes really aren't the norm.  Actually, God is pleased when people do great things but he is also pleased when we do small things for him out of loving obedience.  They may be unnoticed by others, but God notices them and considers them acts of worship.
Great opportunities may come once in a lifetime, but small opportunities surround us every day. Just simple things like telling the truth, looking away when your eyes shouldn't see something, being kind,  cutting someones fallen tree or checking in on someone sick. This is the stuff that God smiles at.  God treasures simple acts of obedience. Those of you who helped at Storehouse of God, that is smile stuff; Crisis Response Work, that is smile stuff, visiting the sick, yea, more smile stuff. Helping here at the church, someone sick, someone in need, someone you don't like, someone at work, doing something extra for someone, you got it, more smile stuff. 
All of you at the 'T SUB' look at this verse.  When God calls your number to do something for him it is probably going to be an anonymous act of kindness....if you obey and do it, look at what this verse says in....John 15:14 "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you," (KJV).  Let's all keep the friendship going and for some of you, isn't it time to make Jesus your friend?




John 15:14
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.  (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment